How do you improve breakfast on a weekend? Add chocolate milk and chocolate morsels to pancakes. I have to admit, we didn’t follow the recipe exactly. We tipped in two tablespoons of morsels and never looked back!
My daughter and I know all about the nutritional value of chocolate milk: it contains the same nine essential nutrients as white milk, it’s a healthful alternative to soft drinks (my daughter avoids soft drinks, because chocolate milk is such a treat), and milk drinkers in general consumer more calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium and vitamin A than non-milk drinkers. Of all the facts, the most important thing to me is that my teenager would choose chocolate milk over carbonated drinks.
The recipe specifies bananas, strawberries and raspberries but those didn’t look so yummy at the market today. Instead, I bought a mango and blueberries. We sliced the mango, simmered the blueberries in coconut water with a tablespoon of shredded coconut for an extra touch of Latino sabor, then drizzled over each of our plates.
Makes 6 (3-4”pancakes) servings
- 2 cups pancake mix
- 1 ½ cup low fat chocolate milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp butter-light
- 1 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- Cooking spray
- Heat skillet over medium-low fat heat
- Combine all the ingredients except the chocolate morsels and blend well. Add the morsels and mix lightly.
- Pour ¼ cup of batter for each pancake onto skillet lightly sprayed with cooking spray
- Turn with pancakes bubble and bottoms are golden brown
- Serve with a side of fresh fruit to increase the nutrition value (bananas, strawberries and raspberries mix well with chocolate)
Serving of fruits not included
239 calories; 5.6 g fat; 2.3 g saturated fat; 7.7 g protein; 183 mg calcium
Since cooking recipes with chocolate milk, I’ll be trying it as an ingredient in dessert recipes that request milk. There are soo many recipes on www.eligeleche.com. If you haven’t already, you should follow BigoteDeLeche on Twitter, and become an insider on the Bigote De Leche Facebook page. And como siempre, check MsLatina’s website Latina On A Mission, for links to more SabrosoSaturday recipes!
Disclosure: This is a paid post created in collaboration with Latina On a Mission and Milk Processors Education Program (MilkPEP). All opinions expressed herein are solely my own.